It is important that your coil is properly primed before vaping as priming your coil significantly reduces your chances of burning it out. To correctly prime a coil, simply follow these easy steps:
- Drip a considerable amount of liquid into the top of the coil, enabling the cotton within to soak it up between drips, and keep dripping until the white cotton through the side holes gets saturated. If there is an excess of liquid, simply flick your coil to force it out.
- Replace the coil and fill the tank with liquid.
- Allow your device to stand upright for a few minutes to allow all of the liquid to soak into the cotton.
- Take a few "primer puffs," or puffs in which you vape but do not actually fire your device; this method draws the liquid up and over the cotton, allowing for more surface area soaking.
- If your device allows you to modify the wattage, set it to the lowest advised setting for your coil and fire.
- Gradually increase the wattage till you reach your desired level.
- Congratulations, your coil is now primed.
A quick tip
When you activate your device, if it spits back at you and produces a gurgling sound, you've most likely flooded your coil. This can happen if the device has been inactive for an extended period of time, or if there is too much liquid in the coil from the priming process.
If this happens to you, take out your mouthpiece and continuously flick your device downward towards the floor (do this outside to avoid making a mess). This simple operation will remove excess liquid from the coil, preventing spitback or an unpleasant gurgling sound the next time you use your device.
The importance of proper coil priming
The coil is an important part of your vape. In reality, your coil is the heating device that transforms your liquid into inhalable vapour. Coils are typically composed of a heating element encased in cotton. When you turn on your device, the cotton absorbs and retains the liquid within, allowing it to vaporise.
When to replace your coils
Coils are not indestructible and must be changed at some point. A number of factors influence the time between substitutions. The frequency with which you use your device, the power setting you use, the e-liquid you use, and other factors all have an impact on the lifespan of your coil. As a general rule, when the taste of your vape has shifted from superb to burnt, it's time to replace the coils.